Philippine province Laguna under total lockdown due to the spread of the coronavirus
MANILA, Mar 29, 2020, The Manila Times. The Laguna provincial government announced on Saturday that it was now under total lockdown due to the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Gov. Ramil Hernandez, in his Facebook post, urged the people to follow the guidelines, The Manila Times reported.
In a radio interview, Hernandez said that there would be strict implementation of checkpoints in the province’s territorial boundaries.
“Ito po ay nakatuon sa territorial boundaries po sa lahat ng panig ng Laguna may paghihigpit na sa paglabas at papasok sa lalawigan ng Laguna [This is focused on the territorial boundaries of Laguna. There would be strict measures in entering and exiting Laguna province],” Hernandez said in a radio interview.
The decision was made after people continued to enter Laguna, he said.
Hernandez said that the guidelines from the national government on the enhanced community quarantine would be followed strictly.
BGen. Bernard Banac, Philippine National Police (PNP) spokesman, told The Manila Times in a text message that there would be no change in the guidelines governing checkpoints except that their implementation “would be intensified”.
He cited that passengers enroute to other provinces would not be allowed to pass through Laguna, he said.
However, frontliners, health workers, and trucks carrying essential goods and commodities would be allowed to enter the province, he clarified.
Guidelines to curb the spread of the coronavirus from the Interagency Task Force would still be observed, Hernandez said.
Previously, Lt. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, PNP deputy for operations, said that non-essential entry and exits such as visiting loved ones would not be allowed.
Interior Secretary Eduardo Año also said that local government units (LGUs) have the power to order lockdowns in their areas.