N. Korea’s leader adopts ‘maximum emergency system’ after defector returns with coronavirus symptoms

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is seen speaking at the party`s plenary meeting on Sunday in an image released by the Korean Central News Agency. Yonhap. Sketched by the Pan Pacific Agency.

SEOUL, Jul 26, 2020, Yonhap. North Korean leader Kim Jong-un convened an emergency politburo meeting of the Workers’ Party and adopted the “maximum emergency system” against coronavirus after a defector returned home from South Korea with virus symptoms, state media reported Sunday, Yonhap News Agency reported.

During the meeting held on Saturday, Kim also said he took “the preemptive measure of totally blocking Kaesong” after the “runaway” returned to the border city on July 19 after crossing the military demarcation line, three years after fleeing to the South, the Korean Central News Agency said.

“To tackle the present situation, he declared a state of emergency in the relevant area and clarified the determination of the Party Central Committee to shift from the state emergency anti-epidemic system to the maximum emergency system and issue a top-class alert,” the KCNA said.

The meeting unanimously adopted the “maximum emergency system” decision, it said.

This photo captured from the website of the Rodong Sinmun in North Korea on July 26, 2020 shows North Korean leader Kim Jong-un presiding over a emergency politburo meeting of the Workers’ Party. The Korean Central News Agency said Kim adopted the decision to shift to the “maximum emergency system” against coronavirus in the meeting. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

hide caption
The South Korean military said it is trying to confirm related facts over the alleged border crossing. A unification ministry official also said it is working with other government agencies to verify Pyongyang’s claim.

The KCNA said that the suspected patient was put under strict quarantine as a primary step after several medical check-ups of the upper respiratory organ and blood showed “an uncertain result” that can be defined as a suspected case.

It added that “all the persons in Kaesong City who contacted that person and those who have been to the city in the last five days are being thoroughly investigated, given medical examination and put under quarantine.”

“Despite the intense preventive anti-epidemic measures taken in all fields throughout the country and tight closure of all the channels for the last six months, there happened a critical situation in which the vicious virus could be said to have entered the country,” Kim was quoted as saying.

Kim then instructed officials to immediately conduct follow-up organizational work to carry out the decision of the meeting and stressed the need to “thoroughly maintain tough organizational discipline.”

He urged them to “overcome the present epidemic crisis by not losing the focus of thinking and action, practicing responsibility and devotion to be faithful and true to the leadership of the Party Central Committee.”

The KCNA also said that the Central Military Commission of the Worker’s Party will “administer a severe punishment and take necessary measures” after an investigation of the military unit responsible for the “loose guard” in the runaway case.

In late January, North Korea declared the launch of a national emergency system against the new coronavirus, shutting down its borders and tightening quarantine measures.

North Korea has yet to report a case of coronavirus but has intensified its preventive efforts across the country, calling its fight against the virus is a “political matter” that will determine the fate of the country.

By Yi Wonju

Share it

Exclusive: Beyond the Covid-19 world's coverage