MUMBAI, Oct 12, 2020, India Today. Local trains services in several parts of Mumbai were temporarily suspended, CCTVs and traffic signals were down due to a major power cut in the Maximum City after a failure in the central grid of TATA Power at Kalva-Padghe powerhouse. The power outage in Mumbai was reported at 10.05 am. Power in Mumbai city was restored after about two hours, India Today reported.
As the power cut disrupted electricity supply, affected business, and daily lives across Mumbai, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said that it will take another “45 min to 1 hour to restore the supply”.
Some of the places affected in Mumbai were Colaba, Mahim, Bandra and several other areas from Mumbai to Thane in Maharashtra. Maharashtra Power Minister Nitin Raut has said that an inquiry will be initiated to ascertain the cause of the power outage in Mumbai.
MUMBAI POWER OUTAGE: 10 POINTS
1. Western Railway and Central Railways Chief Public Relation Officers (CPRO) said the breakdown was due to a grid failure, which resulted in a power outage in several parts of Mumbai and Thane.
2. BEST which supplies electricity in Mumbai has said that the power cut was due to a grid failure at TATA plant which supplies the electricity. “The electric supply is interrupted due to TATAs incoming electric supply failure. Inconveniences is regretted,” said BEST.
3. Central railway local trains were stuck due to the grid failure. Central railways, in a tweet, updated the commuters that the Mumbai suburban trains were held up due to grid failure. “We will update ASAP. Kindly bear with us,” it said.
4. Power cut in Mumbai disrupted train traffic on all lines — Central, Eastern and Western. Local train services between Churchgate and Borivili were also suspended. The Harbour line was restored at 10:55 am.
5. Traffic signals and CCTVs were also down in Mumbai, following a major power cut.
6. Railway ministry sources told India Today TV that after the power outage, power supply from MSETCL, available at Vasai road, was extended to run essential suburban trains between Borivali to Virar section.
“Services in Churchgate to Borivali are suspended, which shall be resumed as soon as the traction power supply is restored by Tata Power Company,” sources said.
7. No disruption in operations at the airport was reported during the power outage in Mumbai. Operations at hospitals treating coronavirus patients were also normal.
8. Power at MMR region and Navi Mumbai has been restored.
9. Adani Electricity, in a statement, said the grid disturbance was due to fault outside of AEML System. “AEML System experienced grid disturbance due to fault outside of it. Islanding of Dahanu saved the essential supplies. Rest supplies are being restored as grid inputs get available from Maharashtra System. Please bear with us as we await Maharashtra grid restoration,” it said.
10. CM Uddhav Thackeray took stock of the power outage in Mumbai. He spoke with the energy minister and the BMC chief and asked them to make alternate arrangements of supply power in the hospitals.
After the power was restored in Mumbai, power ministry said, “There has been no tripping of our transmission lines in the Western Region. All transmission lines are in proper operating system.”